Monday, November 16, 2009

We've come to the end of the road - ES2007S

This semester seemed to have zoom past in a blink of the eye, doesn't it? ):

I could recall frantically clicking around CORS website during the bidding period, trying to find for one last module to fit into my timetable and which would not 'cost' so much ( don't we hate CORS??!) when Aldrich suggested for us to take ES2007S together. We had both heard of the module in the previous semester as our group of close friends took it back then. We gathered feedback from them that although it was a demanding module which requires time and dedication (to our blogs), it was no doubt, enriching and fun. Upon further research, I also felt that ES2007S will be able to prepare me when I start job-hunting with all the resume and application letter writing practices. They also mentioned that Brad was the best tutor so advised us to choose a class under him, which we did!

This may sound cliche, but I definitely enjoyed myself during ES2007 classes. There was always something new to learn every week and I loved how the class was interactive instead of the usual boring seminar-styled lectures. Brad would make us stand up and arrange ourselves according to height, did random pairing-ups so everyone would get a chance to work with one another, give each other constructive feedback and such.. all of which were engaging and makes learning so much more fun! (:

And, who could ever forget the mock job interviews! I need to take this chance to apologise to Sarah again if I really did freak her out when Sheryl and I interviewed her. The poor girl was ignored by me the entire time! ):

However, fun aside, this module was also strapped with a heavy workload. As this module is non-examinable, it also meant that every piece of assignment that was to be handed up throughout the whole semester carried with it a significant weightage. And there was also the final proposal and presentation which we had to complete in the very limited time-span, talk about being stressed!

On a personal level, I'm really glad I took this module in the first place. Not only did I managed to learn valuable skills and tips on writing a good resume/application letter/personal statement, my presentation skills have also improved. And the amazing thing about this is that I did not just learn from Brad the man alone; I managed to learn from everyone in the class through feedback sessions! I definitely need to credit everybody for my improvements. (:

It is of my immense pleasure to have met everyone in this class and also given a chance to work with you guys. We may not have known each other for a long time but the concern you people showed for me (from my last post) really warmed my heart (: Let's meet up after the exams alright! (:

12 comments:

  1. Hello Yuan Ru,

    Haha, yup i'm glad we took the module. It's great that you managed to find something useful and at the same time much more fun than the boring core modules.

    And i'm sorry about the interview where I grilled you so much, Brad's orders. That was fun though.

    Good luck for exams!

    regards,
    aldrich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Girlfriend!

    Wow Brad is THAT highly recommended huh… I guess I would do the same if I were recommending the module to any of my friends too! (Not boot-licking or that phase you always say in Japanese laa Brad)

    I did not known anyone who took ES2007s when I bided for it then. In fact, the reason why I chose Brad’s class was because I had a couple of angmoh lecturers teach me before in NUS, and I always found their class more fun and they were more “slack”. Haha I guess the “slack” part does not really count for Brad, but he is definitely fun!

    Yuanru, I had a truly great experience working with you and Aldrich on the SMS project! Thank you for making me feel so belonged even though you and Aldrich have known each other for so long!

    I also appreciated that you were always giving creative solutions and suggestions when we were working together! Thank you for all of that, and of course, for being a great friend and classmate!

    We'll go shopping once the exams are over, and we should ask Aldrich (and his brother) along too! =D

    All the best for your papers! See ya soon..

    Luv,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yuan Ru,

    My first impression of you was that you were outgoing and articulate. Speaking in coherent sentences is something that I personally need to work on, hence I really admired the clarity and coherency of your speech and the confidence behind it. I initially couldn't fathom why you would need to take this module. A few blog posts later, I had my answer. Your writing has a tendency to contain grammatical errors. (And once again, Wen Jun hurts someone's feelings in his inimitable style.)

    I realise that I am not qualified to give advice, since I have plenty of idiosyncrasies in my own writing. In spite of that, I still think it is for the best that I point this out. I sincerely hope that you can improve in this area and be the best all rounded communicator that we all aspire to be.

    Something else I wish to say is that I got the same advice as you and intentionally chose to join Brad's tutorial group. I am glad that like you, I made that choice. Otherwise, I would not have had the opportunity to meet the vivacious Yuan Ru and the amiable people from Group 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Yuanru!

    Wow! Like you, I was also recommended by my other seniors to choose Brad's class as he's one of the best tutors for this module. :P:P

    Oh yes I can never forget my job interview experience with you and how you grilled me! :P But I'm thankful for that as it tested my resilience and tenacity during an interview. =)

    All the best for your finals and yes, let's meet up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Yuan Ru! I've seen you before in I think Biodiversity classes during Year 1. My first impression about you? Cold and stern. Maybe because I never got to interact with you and I was proven wrong when I got to know you in class. It has been a great experience for me to interact with you, work with you as 'vetters' for application letters and 'shooting' at each other on our blog posts. I'm rather glad to be in this class to know so many wonderful people!

    Let's meet up! Brad suggested Munchie Monkeys! I'm for the idea, but perhaps you and Sherly might want to suggest other places as well? =)

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aldrich! Haha yes I will never forget the time when Sarah and you grilled me during the mock job interview ): (Flow cytometry?!!!?) And yup, definitely glad that we took this module together and worked on the presentation as a team (: You've been great to work with!

    All the best for your upcoming papers.

    Cheers, Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheryl! Haha yes, Brad is THAT highly recommended (: I think we will continue to recommend him to future batches too right? I agree with you that 'angmoh' tutors are definitely double the fun because they know when to grill us and when to lighten up.

    And, I'm glad you felt my love haha. It was my pleasure to work on the presentation with you and woohoo, shopping soon!

    Cheers,
    Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi WenJun (:
    Oh my hahah okay, I'm not offended, don't worry. I just adore your sensitivity hahaha. Anyway yep, I will strive to improve on my grammer.

    I'm glad I met you too, although we didn't get alot of chances to work together - I can only remember once when we were paired up as you were the tallest and I was the shortest in class, haha!

    Cheers,
    Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah!! (:
    Hahah you can feel my sincerity right? I'm really sorry! But see, its for your own good (: You can thank me in the future when you ace your job interviews (:

    Yup meet up after exams and good luck for the finals! Life sciences year two modules are crazy!

    Cheers,
    Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Ivan!

    Oh my goodness, I came across as COLD and STERN?!!! ): That's bad! I'm definitely neither hahaha. You can vouch for me, right? So if any of your life sciences friends think that I'm stuck up or something please do enlighten them for me! I'm glad to have met you too and I particularly liked your blogpost about your intercultural conflict(:

    Stay happy with Sarah and make her shop with Sheryl and I more (:

    Cheers,
    Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yuan Ru,

    I can still remember that day when you were telling Sheryl and me who Ivan's girlfriend is during one of the group work. I think that represents you very well. So fun and spontaneous (and "random"?). And the surprise you gave us when you "produced" a tennis ball out of nowhere.

    Thanks for the entertainment and good luck for your exams!
    Chee Siang

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok. Well. I see my reputation has been considered far and wide. Ang mo guy who is slack, not slack, good, not good, etc. What to do? Students do have a right to talk...and talk they do!

    In any case, Yuan Ru, thank YOU for this reflection and for all the fine effort this term. It was a pleasure to work with you and your project team (and all the others, of course). There was a very good dynamic in the class thanks to the way each of you was willing to drop your inhibitions, participate fully and get into all of the tasks set before you.

    Individually, you provided quite a bit of spark with your affable nature, insightful comments, probing questions and colorful....well, virtually everything you wore to class, from the army-style boots to the flowery dresses. (Sure you don't want to sign up and take the course again? Oh that's so random of me, right?) We all may be social atoms who ape trends and behaviors, but you are certainly trying your best at making your own way. I appreciate that and look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

    For now, best wishes for you on your exams and in the future!

    ReplyDelete