Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reflections on Oral Presentation

Allow me to be honest, I may not be the best presenter ever but I have always loved presentations. (Am I weird?) I still get butterflies in my stomach when I have to stand in front of an audience and talk but I have always enjoyed the feeling after completing a presentation. So, yup, I was very very much looking forward to this final ES2007S presentation!

My team started working on our presentation a little later than the other teams and we were all feeling pretty stressed, especially when we saw that all the other 3 teams had notable progress with their slides and outlines on the wiki! But I'm glad my team-mates and I work pretty well under stress. We focused on how we can deliver an engaging presentation to the audience and decided to include a video which stars ourselves. (Kudos to Sheryl for editing the video!) We also decided to keep our slides minimalist, clean and distinctively black-and-white.

I was tasked to design the presentation slides and honestly, I enjoy doing so. However, we had a little problem because all three of us had our own presentation scripts, which may not flow well with the slides. Luckily, our team met up to iron out this little miscommunication and my teammates also sent me their final 'scripts' so that I could double-check and make changes. We did a 'time-check' and a mock presentation on Wednesday, two days before the presentation, to ensure that we do not over-shoot the time limit and that the presentation was coherent. The fact that the presentation was less than 48hours away finally sunk in and I was starting to feel jittery! I rehearsed my parts at home for the two nights, trying to remember as much as I could without looking at my cue cards and hoped for the best.

On the morning of our 'big day', we met up an hour earlier to have a final run-through of our presentation. That was also when I whipped out the tennis ball and explained my idea to Aldrich and Sheryl! We had zero rehearsals of the idea beforehand because we only decided to include it in at the very last minute. Before we knew it, it was time to go for class!

So, my laptop was slow but it worked fine. (Luckily!) Aldrich started on the introduction and gave an overview and went on to talk about some background information... it felt like he was talking too fast because IT WAS MY TURN, TOO SOON! I started off pretty confidently and made sure I had good posture and voice projection. (Did I, did I??) However, after the video and feeling embarrassed that I had my face all over the projector screen, I started to lose my focus and I found the need to peek at my cue cards. And I was definitely shocked when Aldrich threw the tennis ball back to me instead of Sheryl! After the presentation, I felt that I could have handled the situation much better. Instead of picking up the ball and instructing Aldrich to throw it to Sheryl, I should have just kept the ball and continued with the presentation and pretended like nothing went wrong! ): Be spontaneous be spontaneous!!

After the presentation, our team was prepared to be bombarded by questions during Q&A session but surprisingly, the floor was kind to us. We took turns to answer the questions (and completed each other's sentences, like twins!!) and were glad that it was over within the next few minutes!

I felt that our team did generally well for the presentation. We may not have been perfect and fantastic out there because we were nervous, but I felt that we managed to deliver our ideas across. On a personal level, I was also coping with the heartache of a breakup of a relationship of 2years plus and was a little disoriented throughout the week. Hence, I am grateful for team-mates like Aldrich and Sheryl, their presence definitely gave me a little confidence boost and the strength to stay strong!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Yuanru,

    I guess it is not that surprising that you love presentations, it does show! There was not a trace of nervousness when you were presenting, and you were a complete natural! Your enthusiasm showed too in the preparation stages, with your constant contribution of ideas to spice up the presentation. Those were very much appreciated!

    Your pace of speech was also very comfortable, and you spoke convincingly. And yes, it did help that the floor was kind to us during Q&A. You responded really well to the questions too!

    Regarding the tennis ball incident, I felt that what you did at that time was apt! If you had done what you have mentioned in your post instead, wouldn't the audience not get the right information about the system? So do not worry about it! =) In fact, it did make for some comic effect during our presentation.

    Thank you Yuanru for your hard work, and it was fantastic working with you! You take care k, and I will always be available if you need someone to talk to, or shop with! (Haha!) And I know that a pretty girl like you should have no problems though, I bet truckloads of guys are already at your doorstep offering their shoulders! =)

    xo,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yuan Ru,

    The first thing that struck me as you were beginning your presentation was your little hop to the side when you realised you were standing in the projector's light. It shows that you kept in mind Brad's reminder to step away from the light. (Or maybe I'm giving you too much credit and you just hate the glare from the projector's light. Meh.)

    Like Aldrich, you are among the most fluent and proficient speakers in our class. Your command of English is really good, and I did not notice any grammatically incorrect phrases during your presentation. Good job!

    And with regards to the little mishap with the tennis ball, it was very well handled in my opinion. What impressed me was the way you guys recovered the situation and continued presenting smoothly after that. I wouldn't have guessed from your reaction that you would dwell on the ball dropping incident. You handled the situation really well, so don't second guess yourself.

    (PS: Here's some unsolicited advice for you. Be strong and slowly heal. Don't rebound and (possibly) break some poor guy's heart, OK?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Babe!

    Personally, even though you said your team started a lot later than the rest of the 3 teams, I thought your team did great! (Honest!) Your slides did not give me the professional feeling BUT I thought it gave me the state-of-the-art feeling. ( I don’t really know how to describe it! The slides had the creative touch to it) It was something different as compared to the rest of the 3 teams, which, ironically, grabbed my attention!

    You started off very confidently and you were smooth and passionate in your delivery of speech! However, I noticed that towards the end of your part, you started to step back close to the laptop and looked at your cue cards pretty often. Was it because you forgot what you wanted to say?

    I totally loved your idea of the tennis ball illustration! It’s a good attention grabber and something fresh! With regards to the mistake you made, I thought it was perfectly fine! All humans make errors. (Even the best presenters do) Ironically, your small little blunder made the audience laugh!

    YES we were so nice to your group during QnA session HAHA!!! (Unlike my group boooooo =() You answered the questions without a sign of nervousness! Great job!

    P.S Cheer up gal! I noticed for the past few lessons you seem pretty down and not your usual self. Now I understand. But my dear, remember that you’re a gem! You’re still so young and you have many more opportunities to fall in love again. Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Yuanru, for this very open and honest reflection. I'm sorry to hear about your break up and amazed at how well you were able to carry on your work --- and do very well --- without skipping a beat. (I like Wen Jun's advice to you, too.)

    I'll be giving you more comments later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Yuan Ru! Don’t be worried, I don’t think you have much of a problem with presentations at all! You have a lot of enthusiasm during and after the presentation (Q&A), which allows everyone, I believe, to be able to follow with you into the issue of discussion~. As mentioned by Sheryl, the tennis ball incidents is not a bad thing, it is a good thing! It is something that still etches on my memory, making me remember hard and well about the telecom service and the outline of the whole process. The minor mistakes make the whole presentation real and filled with ‘human touch’ in it.

    Just a minor thing to note, during the time you look at your cards, don’t make it so obvious, since Aldrich and Sheryl were both having fun with the tennis ball. =P Also beware of your speech, maybe due to the unhappy thing that happened. Nonetheless, a good job and don’t be upset, Sarah is all yours!!! =DDD

    As for Wen Jun’s unsolicited advice, hmm, maybe you might want to take note of that too. For a guy with many heartbreaking instances (You can HTHT with Sarah and find out more), such a feeling is totally undesired! Take care and be happy, be cheerful – That’s the Yuan Ru you have been and should always be! =)

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heya,

    I think you did great under the circumstances and the amount of information you had to deliver. Good job and I'm sorry about the tennis ball incident. Turns out it made people laugh so maybe it was a good thing? haha.

    Anyway stay strong. time heals. and aiyah. ok la, you can come my house to visit me(my brother rather) if it makes you feel better. hahah.


    regards,
    aldrich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Yuan Ru,

    I felt your group did an extremly good job in your presentaion and what a great concept for your tennis ball demostration. The tiny incident definitely did not prevent the intended message from getting through.

    I felt you achieved your aim of having good voice projection and a great posture. The pace of your speech was also well timed. It was not so fast that you lost others and not so slow you put the audience to sleep.

    Keep up the great work in future presentations!

    On a personal note, I am sorry to hear about your break up too. It is no wonder you have been looking listless. I know it is painful but as Wen Jun said you are still young babe. Keep yourself occupied so you will not think so much okie. Give yourself some time. I hope you cheer up girl and be the old Yuan Ru!

    Cheers,
    Ken Jie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yuan Ru,

    Your presentation was great. In fact, i felt that you were one of the most natural presenters. I couldn't sense that you were nervous. The way you gave your presentation was engaging and I was looking forward to learn more throughout the speech.

    I think the video idea was fantastic. Great illustration on how your team's idea can be useful to NUS students. Teamwork and great effort in developing the creative presentation.

    Lastly, hope you are feeling better now. Time to mug for the dreadful exams! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments!

    @Sheryl: Are you sure I managed to conceal my nervous-ness???? My hands were shaking! (And I think my voice too haha) And, seems like I didn't do the wrong thing about the tennis ball incident (: Haha, was so worried I messed it up!

    It was definitely fun working with you too and I foresee some really bank-breaking shopping together in the near future! Do keep in touch (:

    @WenJun: Hello! Thanks for your feedback but honestly, I don't even remember hopping away from the projector's light until you mentioned it. Its probably the glare but I do remember Brad's reminder too! And yup, I'm definitely not breaking any hearts soon, I'm still healing mine!

    @Sarah: Awww the slides didn't look professional? ): I was hoping it may come across as classy and maybe just a teeny weeny bit professional!! And yup, you were right, I sort of forgot what I was supposed to say after the tennis ball incident, hence I needed to step back and peek at my cue cards, was it too obvious? Gah! Anyway thanks for your feedback, I need to remind myself to keep calm and not let a little mishap during the presentation mess up my thoughts! Or I could have held little cue cards on my hands like what Sheryl did, so that if I ever needed to refer to them it wont be as obvious! Love you too babe.

    -Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ivan: Oops, seems like the cue-card thing was really obvious! ): But I'm so glad everyone seemed to love the tennis ball idea. The looks on everyone's faces when I fished the tennis ball out of my pocket was priceless hahaha. And I'm so glad nobody could sense my nervousness... my stomach was full of butterflies actually! Maybe I should really consider a Hollywood career (:

    Thanks for the advice too. Nah you can keep Sarah, I'm not gonna deprive you of your sweetheart. Just remember to get something back from Aussiel for me after your Summer Programme!

    @Aldrich: Yeah, I'm surprised the blunder was actually a blessing in disguise (sort of?) (: Yay, are you gonna invite Sheryl and I over to paint your new house soon?

    @KenJie: Hello my fellow facebook camper! Thanks for the praise, the presentation went well because I had really fantastic group members too! Am really glad you gave me credit for my efforts in making sure my posture and voice projection was okay (: Thanks! P.S. I'm not young anymore!! I wanted to get married by 24!!!! Haha!

    @Evonne: Hi Evonne! Once again, all of you are fooled haha. I was a bunch of nerves up there! Thanks for the comments and I shall strive to improve (or at least maintain this standard) for my future presentations (: Mug hard too!

    -Yuan Ru

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuan Ru: No problem, I'll definitely get you a big present from Australia! Courtesy of Sarah and I. =)

    ReplyDelete